English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

An advice on directories owner of a slave site
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: An advice on directories owner of a slave site
An advice on directories owner of a slave site 10 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0
Hello,

Each of our slaves sites has a local administrator. He must also be the owner of some directories of his slave site, in order to update them. For instance, adding new templates into the templates directory.

I have to fix now what directories of slave sites can be links, and what directories must be created in order to assign them a new owner (chown Unix).

As I am rather new in Joomla, with no developer experience for the moment, I would need your advice, please.

Thanks for your help. Best regards,
pocquet
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: An advice on directories owner of a slave site 10 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 54
If you want to have specific folder for specific slave site, you can modify the JMS Template rule to specify that you want to have a copy instead of a link.

Concerning the modification of the ownsership of a directory, JMS does not provide such facilities because anyway, the master must have access to the directory.
Otherwise, it would not be able to create the directory and copy the subdirectories and files.

If you want to change automatically the ownership of directories, it is possible to do that with a plugin.
The website creation from the front-end is able to call plugin when the "billable website" functionality is enabled.
In this case, you could develop a specific plugin to perform the chown after that the website is created.

I don't see the interest to change the ownership as soon as you deploy website into specific folder that can not be saw by each other.
edwin2win
graph

Re: An advice on directories owner of a slave site 10 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0
Mister Chéront,

I thank you for your answer. The purpose of my question is different, perhaps I did not explain correctly.

I learnt how to use the website templates, creating my own from predefined ones, and also selecting if I want a link or a copy for directories. That works perfectly.

Among the directories created, some of them need to belong to the administrator of the slave site. The reason is that, even being in a multi-site configuration, we are obliged to still offer the users the freedom of manually updating some of their slave site directories, as they did before in a mono site configuration.
But not all directories, only the necessary ones.

And that is the purpose of my question : what directories can be owned by the users ?
The answer will tell me what action I will set in the website template : link, dirlink, create.

Thanks in advance,
pocquet
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re: An advice on directories owner of a slave site 10 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0
Hello,

I am still studying the rights of slave directories. Here is my conclusion :
- if the administrator of the slave site is declared as "Super User", he has access to the extension manager, and it is enough that he owns tmp directory, to be able to upload the zip files of the extensions.
- if he is declared as "Administrator" only, he has not access to the extension manager, and he needs to have write access to the directories templates and modules.

Could you, please, tell me if you agree with that ?

Still about directories, I notice that there is no dirlink choice in the models for images and templates directories. Is there a special reason ?
I think that it is a pity to be obliged to copy the contents of these directories.

Thanks for your help. Best regards,
pocquet
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re: An advice on directories owner of a slave site 10 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 54
Concerning the owner of the files and folders, theorically, if you setup your server to forbid following the symbolic by FTP, the users will not be able to modify the common files.

So this would not be a problem to create for example several "Addon domains" with different FTP account and provide them to the users.

Now, if you want to create the files with a specific FTP owner, the alternative is to use the FTP Layer when creating the slave site. In this case, the files and directories will be created with the FTP username.

Becaurefull that when the suPHP is installed, the new files that will be created via your websites must have access to the master files/directories.

Remark: for the FTP root directory, it must be relative to your master FTP root directory.
So sometime, you make have to create a FTP root like public_html/../domains/domain.com/public_html
edwin2win
graph
Last Edit: 2014/03/04 14:28 By edwin2win.

Concerning the Joomla ACL and permission, the easiest way is to see on Joomla.org website or as you did, do test to review the permission that are provided for each group of users.

As you can always create your own ACL group of users, up to you to create new groups that you will provide to your users.
The Joomla ACL allows you selecting which components are provided to the users.
Concerning the modules and plugin this is the access to all the module or plugin. You can not decide which module or plugin can be accessed.

Concerning the /images and /templates, in general they must be shared.
Some extension, may use the /images to store their own images (ie. avatar).
In that case, it is advised to keep them shared and create another directory for the specific content like "images_specific".
You can also change the default media manager directory path to provide the new path.
edwin2win
graph

Go to topPage: 12
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla