English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Duplicate comps on existing sites?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Duplicate comps on existing sites?
Duplicate comps on existing sites? 14 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi Edwin

I am in the process of installing all extensions into my master site.

I have several sites each set up in sub directories -

Two of these are already populated with client and category data such as - SOB12 and the adsmanager.

When I install these relevant comps into the master site and it communicates with the relevant sites will I loose all this data as seems to overwrite the data?

I don't have much of a problem with the mods and bots but concerned about the config of the comps.

Creating a Slave site:

All my sites are already built reside in sub directories and have suffix at the end of the domain.

List of domains
......com/property
......com/cars

etc.

each have their own database

Symbolic link allowed

Following your video instruction and setting up slave sites it seems that it applies to a new Joomla installations.

I am worried that if I proceed like that I will loose all data and config.

Can I start of with one slave site and add the others once I have it all working properly?

Thanks for your help

Ken
sovereign6
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Duplicate comps on existing sites? 14 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 54
The problem you report may happen on the configuration of the master website.

I remember you that with JMS all the website share the same files and folder on the disk.
When you install an extension in a slave site, this will re-install all the files and folders on the disk. In the case where the extension save some configuration on the disk, they may be overwritten by the re-installation.
This is the reason why I often explain to consider the master website as a repository for all the websites and to not publish it to the outside world.
Just consider the master website as a website that provide services to the slave sites.

The DB content is specific to each website and should not be deleted by the installation of the extension in a slave site.

To avoid the re-installation of an extension, you can use the replication of the slave site that consist in a copy of all tables with a new prefix.
Unfortunatelly, if you have already create the slave site, this will not synchornize the slave sites with the new extension that you will have installed on the "parent" website.

In summary, if SOBI2 save its configuratoin on the disk, it will be replaced each time you re-install this extension in to a slave site.
edwin2win
graph

Re:Duplicate comps on existing sites? 14 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0
Just backup the files before reinstall sobi2, after reinstall on the slave site just upload the sobi2 directory (watch if there is a directory of sobi in administrator sometimes you need to backup that directory too).
javler
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla