English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Slave domain setup help
Slave domain setup help 14 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 0
Can any one assist me with configuring my first salve domain site?

I have been trying to setup my first slave domain site. I was successful with adding Multisites as well as the patches without any issues.

I created my site by adding the following

siteid: MyID
domain mydomain.com

Again I had no issue.

When I go to my second domain via the web browser I get an "Address cannot be found" error. I verifed that I can do a lookup to my site as well as ping it when it is enabled but for whatever reason it won't display on my web page.

I read that apache2 need the a second host in the sites-available file, so I added the following:

<VirtualHost*>
ServerName MyID.com
ServerAlias *.MyID.com
DocumentRoot /var/www/joomla15/multisites/MyID/
</VirtualHost>

I was able to restart apache2 with no issues but still I get the same error. My ultimate goal is to have my secondary site use the same plugins as the main site. We own the server so we can create as many databases as we need.

I noticed that if I do www.MyID.com nothing comes up but if I do MyID.com I can see the content of my configuration file. I just don't have a clue how to solve this. I searched high and low on the net but was unable to find a similar situation.

I am at a loss as to what to do next. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am using Ubuntu Server 8.10 with Apache2, Joomla 1.5.7, and Multisites 1.1.17.

Thank you
Fierobuff
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Slave domain setup help 14 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 54
The error is that in apache, you have defined the domain = MyID.com and in JMS you have define my.domain.com
They does not match.

Try to setup correctly your apaches.
To help you, you can use the "hello world" procedure.
Copy the hello.txt and helllo.php into the /var/www/joomla15/multisites/MyID/

When done, check that you can reach the hello.txt with mydomain.com/hello.txt and repeat that with mydomain.com/hello.php
This will help you check that your apaches is correctly configured.
Based on your current description, to reach the website, the domain = myID.com/hello.txt that does NOT correspond to the domain name present in JMS.
You can also add in JMS the domain = myid.com and www.myid.com

When you are sure of the domain name defined in your apaches confguration files using the hello.txt file, you can check that apaches is correctly configured to execute PHP script. Repeat the test with hello.php to ensure you can execute it.

When OK with apaches configuration, come back to JMS and check the domain field to provide the list of domain that must be associated to this site ID. This is the list of domain that you have defined in apaches.
edwin2win
graph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2009/06/19 12:09 By edwin2win.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla