English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: Unable to Install First Slave Site
Unable to Install First Slave Site 15 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0
I'm helping someone evaluate Multi Sites for a project, and have installed it on a private Linux server in order to get an understanding of how it can be used. I'm using Joomla Multi Sites version: 1.1.16 on a standard installation of Joomla 1.5.9 and have succeeded in setting up DNS (via the "hosts" file) and the Apache virtual host config. so that HTTP access to the first slave site works as required. I have installed the component without any problem and have checked that all patches are OK.

My problem is that when I try to install the slave copy of Joomla (as in section 3.2.7 of the User manual) everything works fine until I get to the stage "Database Configuration". When I have completed the entries on this page I click on "Next", but nothing happens. No new page, no error message, nothing.

After wasting a lot of time on this, I'm posting here in the hope that someone can suggest a way forward with this, as I am unable to get Joomla Multi Sites working even in the most basic way.

TIA

PS
Clicking "Next" seems to be associated with a javascript error:
Code:

document.formvalidator is null
[Break on this error] var valid = document.formvalidator.isValid(frm);
index.php (line 89)

jbrice
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2009/02/26 15:24 By jbrice.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Unable to Install First Slave Site 15 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 54
When you click next in the Joomla DB Configuration form, normally Joomla (not JMS) check the database connection and parameters that you have provided.
Thus, I suggest to check the DB parameters.
Normally, this is exactly the same procedure than the one you use when you are installing a fresh Joomla. The only point that is highlighted is the table prefix.
So hosting server need to have the DB already created before using them.
Perhaps there is a very long timeout in the DB connection before to reply an error message.
edwin2win
graph

Re:Unable to Install First Slave Site 15 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0
edwin2win wrote:
When you click next in the Joomla DB Configuration form, normally Joomla (not JMS) check the database connection and parameters that you have provided.
Thus, I suggest to check the DB parameters.
Normally, this is exactly the same procedure than the one you use when you are installing a fresh Joomla. The only point that is highlighted is the table prefix.
So hosting server need to have the DB already created before using them.
Perhaps there is a very long timeout in the DB connection before to reply an error message.

Thanks for the quick reply. I have checked and rechecked the DB parameters and am reasonably confident I have got it right since I have installed dozens of ordinary Joomla sites in the past.

I have tried using the main site database with a different prefix, and a specially created database and user ID with the standard "jos_" - both with the same result. If it's a timeout, then it's a very long one as I have a page here that has produced no response since before I posted my original message here.
jbrice
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Frankly, I don"t understand as this is a standard Joomla code and not a JMS code.
I don't understand why the javascript does not work or why your website does not reply.

I don't see any solution execpt use a browser that allow to debug the javascript and try to see what happen in this script.

All I can see is that a field is NULL.

Something that you can also try is to restore an original Joomla installation directory into your website.
When this is done, go in the JMS check patches that will update few files.
edwin2win
graph
Last Edit: 2009/02/26 17:01 By edwin2win.

Re:Unable to Install First Slave Site 15 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0
Thanks again for the suggestions.

Something that you can also try is to restore an original Joomla installation directory into your website.
When this is done, go in the JMS check patches that will update few files.

Since my last message I have made a clean install of Joomla V1.5.9, installed Multi Sites, run all patches - and still get exactly the same problem.

The system is set up with the master site as:
server_name/web_test/joomla_site/
and the slave site as:
www.test_site.com/
Could this be in any way related to the problem?

Anyway, I am going to have to leave this for now as I have spent too much time on it already.
jbrice
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

NO I don't think so.
The only solution I see is to debug it and try to understand why.
Your are the first that report such problem.
edwin2win
graph

Go to topPage: 12
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla