English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Auto generate multiple sudomains per slave site
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 123
TOPIC: Auto generate multiple sudomains per slave site
Auto generate multiple sudomains per slave site 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi: I would like to share my experience with the community about using this component which I consider is great.

We needed to auto generate sub domains for each slave site...

On a domain we have this structure...

www.mydomain.com/my-dir/my-subdir1/index.php
etc.

But we needed this...

www.my-subdir1.mydomain.com/index.php
etc.

That way, you can have your own blog site like Wordpress, Blogspot, etc. for example...

myblog.wordpress.com

How to do this? Well we had been working on this for several days but in the end we figured it out how to do it, and is quite easy. Here the instructions, step by step:

1- You must enable Wildcard Subdomains on your server. This must be done by your Hosting Company. Ask them to enable that, so you can use this URL:

*.mydomain.com

I was able to do it in cpanel after asking my company.

2- After that, you need to configure JMS as explained in their tutorial, but in when you generate the template, put this...

Valid domains or subdomains list... PUT: http://{site_prefix}.{site_url}

That way you will generate something like this...

mysubdomain.mydomain.com (like wordpress, blogspot, etc.)

If you need help just tell me.
Greetings from Argentina.

ENJOY!!!

dglite
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Auto generate multiple sudomains per slave site 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 54
Thank you for this guidance.
I think you should already find a similar answer in this forum that I have provided to this kind of request.

I would like to add some points:
- When you use http://{site_prefix}.{site_url}
becaurefull that {site_url} may already contain "www" in front of the domain if your current master website is called with "www.domain.com" and not from "domain.com"
- In addition, when using the wildcard in the CPanel, this means that any sub-domain that is not defined in JMS will automatically display the master website.
You will not receive any error.
- When using wildcard, it is not possible to deploy the slave site into a specific directory as the CPanel will use the same documentroot directory.

When you have a full access on your server, perhaps you may have to consider using the "billable website" functionality that allow adding specific PHP script to create new entry in you CPanel. This could avoid the usage of the widlcard.
edwin2win
graph
Last Edit: 2009/05/21 15:21 By edwin2win.

Re:Auto generate multiple sudomains per slave site 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi: thanks for your great support. Regarding your topic, I need to know this...

1- how do I configure the component to have this...

www.subdomain.domain.com/index.php
and

subdomain.domain.com/index.php

At the same time to target them to the same site?

Because you told me that {site_url} may already contain "www" in front of the domain if current master website is called with "www.domain.com" and not from "domain.com" (how do I change it?)

2- You tell me this...

"billable website" functionality that allow adding specific PHP script to create new entry in you CPanel...

But that means that all the subdomains will be automatically generated? I mean, I need the site to be like wordpress, and auto generate the subdomains so I do not have to do it myself in cpanel, is that possible? Could you explain how step by step?

3- By when would it be possible to install each slave site on a different database from the front end automatically once any user creates his website?

Thanks very much again, for your time and for this making great component!

dglite
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Auto generate multiple sudomains per slave site 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 54
Q1) In JMS, you can give several domain in the definition.
you just have to give several domain based on your sample
www.{site_prefix}.{site_url)
{site_prefix}.{site_url)

{site_url} contain the current URL and therefore the URL used to access your master website.
If you want to be sure, you can hardcode your master domain name.
put something like {site_prefix}.domain.com

Q2) All depend if you have a full access to your server and if you have the possibilty to configure your CPanel dynamically.
You could develop a specific interface to your hosting server.
As this is specific to each hosting provider, JMS just provide the possibility to execute additional script.
See user manual chapter 4.2 page 35 to 45 that describe all the possibilities
If you want that we help you in this development, this is possible with billable support.
We could work with you to develop such interface for your system.
Billable support can be ordered on www.jms2win.com/download?page=shop.produ...35&category_id=1

Q3) The current JMS 1.1.x does not allow to create slave site into another DB.
I am working on JMS 1.2.x that will allow replicate website into another DB.
It will have some constrain like having enough MySQL permission to create the DB and users.
I hope it will be released in june or july.
edwin2win
graph
Last Edit: 2009/05/21 22:40 By edwin2win.

Re: Auto generate multiple sudomains per slave site 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0
hello can you give the details on how you setup you JMS site template? I have activated the wildcard in my hostgator account for the domain name Im using glocalweb.co.cc. Its working with the wildcard but only in the backend or joomla admin. Frontend is totally blank, template is not displaying and also the content is not displaying.

this is my setup in the JMS site template: (pls tell me what is that im not doing right)
List of domain names:
http://{site_url}/multisites/{site_alias}
http://{site_alias}.glocalweb.co.cc
www.{site_alias}.glocalweb.co.cc
http://{site_prefix}.{site_url}

To site ID (*): {site_alias}
New DB Prefix (*): {site_alias}{user_id}_

Specific slave site folders
Master site folder: /home/brayanle/public_html/glocalweb12546.co.cc
Deployment folder: {multisites}/{site_alias}
Path to Media folder: {multisites}/{site_alias}/images
Path to Image folder: {multisites}/{site_alias}/images/stories
Templates (themes) folder: {multisites}/{site_alias}/templates
brayanlee
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Auto generate multiple sudomains per slave site 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 54
If you have a blank page in the front-end, this is the symptom of a PHP syntax error somewhere.
Check the "error_log" file that might provide you more detailed on the reason.
Perhaps this will help you identify the extension that has a problem or cause the blank page.

If you have used a wildcard in the cPanel for a subdomain, that mean that the deploy directory is identical for all the subdomain.

As you could see it in tutorial video CP-05, try to have specific media, image and templates folders could be more difficult when sharing the same deployed directory for all the subdomain (because you use wildcard in cPanel).

In additiion your images and media setup are wrong as you provided a full path and it is required a relative path.

Here it is some suggestion to test
List of domain names:
http://{site_alias}.glocalweb.co.cc
www.{site_alias}.glocalweb.co.cc

To site ID (*): {site_alias}
New DB Prefix (*): {site_alias}{user_id}_

Specific slave site folders
Deployment folder: MUST BE THE SAME AS THE ONE ASSIGN FOR THE WILDCARD
Path to Media folder: Relative path - Problem all the subdomain will have same directory as you used a wildcard
Path to Image folder: Idem previous remark
Templates (themes) folder: {deploy_dir}/templates
edwin2win
graph
Last Edit: 2010/09/18 20:12 By edwin2win.

Go to topPage: 123
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla