English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

New Slave Site Installations Problem
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: New Slave Site Installations Problem
New Slave Site Installations Problem 15 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0
I am having issues with the installation directory.
At the end of the new joomla installation it says that i have to delete the installation directory or i cannot access the site or admin.
I have deleted the install directory and when i go to build a new slave site, i have to check the patches message appears.
When i go to check / update the patches i get and installation missing message.

* Unable to write archive
* Error during installation of the file "installation"
* Copy failed
* Copy failed
* Copy failed
* Copy failed
* Copy failed
* Copy failed
* Copy failed
* Copy failed
* Copy failed
* Copy failed
* Copy failed
* Copy failed

Any ideas.

P.S
You state in the insructions not to delete in installation directory, how do i access my site, when joomla says get rid of the install directory or else, and your saying keep it. Whos correct

FROM THE MANUAL
Do not remove the installation directory:
At the end of the installation of the new site, Joomla asks you to delete the
installation directory.
With Joomla multisites, this is not required. We strongly recommended that
you do not remove the Joomla installation directory. Joomla Multi Sites is
able to detect if the installation is already completed and will grant access to
the administration and the front-end.

So I have started again and have installed my master site and have installed the componant and have run the installation and entered all the details and received the completion message and to uninstall the install directory. I have stopped at this point, any ideas of what i have done wrong ?

Peter
australian
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2009/02/07 07:07 By australian.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:New Slave Site Installations Problem 15 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 54
When the JMS patches are installed you DON'T have to DELETE the INSTALLATION directory because it is required to install the slave site.
JMS contain special processing that make Joomla available to start event when the installation directory is present and when a configuration.php is also present.

When this point respected and if you received messages like "Unable to write ..." this probably caused by a problem of permission.
If this is a permission problem, this perhaps means that you have to use the FTP Layer to give more permission during the installation.
If this is the case, see the video in tutorial step 15 that show how to setup the FTP Layer. www.jms2win.com/tutorial

www.jms2win.com/media/joomla_multisites/...o/ftp_layer.swf.html
edwin2win
graph

Re:New Slave Site Installations Problem 15 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0
Yes i understand that i dont delete the installation directory, but the joomla slave site will not appear unless i do.
ie after installation if i type in:

www.slave1.mysite.com

it keeps reloading www.slave1.mysite.com/installation/index.php
and will not let me see the site or admin unless i delete the installation directory
australian
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:New Slave Site Installations Problem 15 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0
After spending days trying to work this out, i am going to stop this project as i think it is above my knowledge level.
Please close any my open threads.

I wish you well with you endevours.
australian
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2009/02/07 11:13 By australian.

Re:New Slave Site Installations Problem 15 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 54
When you come back again in the installation, this means that the configuration.php file is not written by the Joomla installation into the /multiisites/xxxx directory where xxx is the site id.
Sometimes, when Joomla installation can not write this configuration.php file, it display the text that must be saved manually in the configuration.php file.
In general this is due to a problem of permission.
Try also to increae permission of /multisites/xxx directory.
edwin2win
graph

Re:New Slave Site Installations Problem 15 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 0
Thank you so much for creating such an awesome product. This is solving a lot of problems for us. However, there is an issue with the documentation I think related to what australian is describing.

I have just installed Joomla (not Multi Sites yet). I am getting the following message:
PLEASE REMEMBER TO COMPLETELY
REMOVE THE INSTALLATION DIRECTORY.
You will not be able to proceed beyond this point until the installation directory has been removed. This is a security feature of Joomla!.

Now, the documentation for Multi Sites says not to remove the installation directory, so I am not. I would like to ignore the above message and so I try to go to site.com/administrator/index.php. Unfortunately, I keep getting redirected to the above message and so I cannot access the administrator back-end. Therefore I cannot install Multi-Sites. (Or anything else).

My guess is that I should be able to change the directory name until the next time I need it, i.e. mv installation installationsave. However, your documentation does not mention this step and seems to imply that it is not necessary.

And also to be clear this is the initial installation of what will be the master site.
ilaksh
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2009/03/24 05:16 By ilaksh.

Go to topPage: 12
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla