English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Mirror Image Sites - sharing Articles
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Mirror Image Sites - sharing Articles
Mirror Image Sites - sharing Articles 14 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 0
Please tell me if this tool is what I'm looking for ???

I'm trying to create multiple sites that look EXACTLY the same --- EXCEPT for the graphic header / image on the top, which would be different.

I need the ability to share structure among the sites ... meaning if I change the menu structure on the master, it filters to all the slaves, etc.

And I need to share some articles across multiple sites ... or pick which slaves sites see certain articles. The users would not have to create various accounts on different domains (slaves) but share the same login on all. I saw SYNC (a Joomla Database Synchronizing Component) and thought that might work too ?? Or is this the same tool ??

Link to their site: www.dioscouri.com/index.php?option=com_c...;id=95&Itemid=16

Not sure what the best approach here is.

thanks

-Billy M
bmartin
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Mirror Image Sites - sharing Articles 14 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 54
Create several identical website with speciifc header/image is possible.
You can either duplicate the themes (template) when the header/image is located in the template.
OR
Slightly modify the template to get the images from a location that will be specific to each slave site.

In JMS, it is possible to define specific image, media or template folder.
Personnally, I would recommand to slightly modify the template or CSS code to get the images from a directory that will be customer dependent.

Concerning the share of the structure and menu, I don't understand it.
I remember you that with JMS each website are independent.
The content of each wesbite is totally independent.
So I don't understand you filtering idea that is not clear for me.

When a slave site is created, by default the users are specific to reach website.
If you want to share the user, this is possible with JMS 1.2.x.
The major difference between SYNCH and JMS2Win is that SYNCH replicate the data into each website and therefore require a SYNCHronization mecanism to clone the data into each website.
In JMS, this is totally different as in JMS, only one website has physically the information.
All the other website that will share some DB table will not store the data in their website but will store the information in a COMMON or SHARED place.
With JMS, the information is present on once in the DB.
Wiht SYNCH, you clone the data into each website with all the potential problem that could occurs during such setup.

Personnally the JMS approch is the best because the data are only present once and are NOT replicated into the other website.
Only one website will really contain the shared informations.
The other wesbite sharing the "main website" will be NOT save anthing.
They will just provide a reference to this URL

Save the data only once in DB also save space and allow t oprovide a better quality.
edwin2win
graph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla