English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

server encountered an unexpected condition
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: server encountered an unexpected condition
server encountered an unexpected condition 12 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 0
Hello,

I have installed the JMS component v1.2 successfully on a Joomla 1.6.3 site and I think I have correctly setup the subdomain for the slave site to point to the same directory as the root of the master site. However, when I go to the slave site, instead of getting a Joomla Installation page, I keep getting the "500 Internal Server Error" title and the page simply shows the following message: "The server encountered an unexpected condition which prevented it from fulfilling the request. The script had an error or it did not produce any output. If there was an error, you should be able to see it in the error log."

After reading reports of similar issues on this forum it appears that I could have a permissions issue with some files or directories on my host server. However, that is only speculation. Can you please tell me if this is the issue? If so, which files and directories need to have the permissions modified. Currently, most of the directories have the permissions set to 755 and the files are set to 644. If this is not the issue, then can you please help me figure out why I don't get a Joomla Installation page when I go to the slave site.

Thanks for your help!
timchowe
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2011/07/01 21:50 By timchowe.Reason: Changed Icon
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: server encountered an unexpected condition 12 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 54
If you are using cPanel and have defined the slave site as a subdomain or addon domain using the same root document as the master website, this can not be a permission issue as the document root is the same.

So you should first verify your subdomain or addon domain that you setup in your HTTP Server administration tool (ie: cPanel).

If you defined the slave site (domain or subdomain) in you server as using another "document root" directory then you have to check that you have the correct "installation" directory created in this "document root".
In JMS, you should have deployed the slave site into this "document root" directory.

To see how to proceed with subdomain, see the tutorial video CP-04 that show how to configure a cPanel and setup Jms Multisite.
www.jms2win.com/en/tutorial#jms12x-CP-04

If you are using something else than cPanel, please mention it and detailled information on the environment.
edwin2win
graph

Re: server encountered an unexpected condition 12 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 0
Thank you for your prompt response.

I double checked my subdomain configuration and it seems to be fine but I was still getting the "500 Internal Server Error" so I tried to point my subdomain to a subdirectory of the root directory and then I updated the "Deployed directory" setting in JMS for the slave site to the correct directory.

Now I see a Joomla Installation page when I go to the slave site but it has an error on it and it when I click on the "next" link, nothing happens. Please see the attached screenshot image of the Joomla Installation page.

Also, my host is iPage, www.ipage.com, Platform = Debian, MySQL Version = 5.0.91, Perl Version = 5.8.8, PHP Version = 5.2.2.

timchowe
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2011/06/30 18:54 By timchowe.Reason: Image

Re: server encountered an unexpected condition 12 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 0
Ok, I have managed to get everything working now. I returned the subdomain back to the root directory and contacted my host's technical support and they increased the memory usage and account privileges. Now I am able to get the Joomla Installation page to appear and work correctly on my slave site! Yeah!

This is an awesome Joomla component!

Edwin, I've noticed that you do not have any specific directions for how to configure the domain/subdomains on a website hosted by iPage. Would you like me to provide you with some simple steps and screenshots of how to do this correctly on iPage so that you could post them on the "Tutorial" section of the jms2win website?
timchowe
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla